Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Shistosomas Jinx

So Monday I'm driving down the road thinking about if we hire a new vet how many strange things we'll have to bring them up to speed on. One of those is shistosomas reflexus (spelling I have no clue). This is a congenital abnormality of calves where the body esentially forms inside out - the organs are on the outside and sometimes the whole torso of the skeleton is inside out to some degree. I've seen it twice since I've been out of school, but it wasn't something they taught about in school, so when I first saw one I was shocked. So I'm thinking to myself, well, it's been a while since I've seen one of those.
About 36 hours later at 10:30 pm a friendly farmer calls me to tell me "Doc, the heifer has a big purple bulge coming out the back end with the feet. What do I do?" I was hoping it was simply a vaginal prolapse or something he could deal with, but I had already jinxed myself. Thankfully, I'm figuring out how to use a fetotomy much better than my early days, and with just one cut of what was supposed to be the hips/back, we got it out! Remind me not to think ever about strange and rare occurrances. Oh, by the way, it was also a full moon.

1 comment:

Lexie said...

Umm yeah, I may have to deal with crazy people, but that is some crazy cow stuff! You lost me with about half your words, but I appreciate the story :)