Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Yeah, July Is Here!

I think I've said this before in this same forum, but I love July!!!
Independence Day has always been my favorite holiday. I think this may have begun when I was an adolescent and a particular co-ed that I forever had a crush on was always in the neighborhood on the 4th of July. Besides that, what's not to love! I love our little home-town parade, even if it is rinky-dink. I feel a little bit of nostalgia because I doubt it's much different than it was 50 years ago besides the tractors being bigger. It's nice to think that some things don't have to change (no need for change Mr. President, I love our country the way it has been). By the 4th of July, the water at the lake is just the right temperature - warm enough to swim, but not cold enough to take your breath away. Then there's friends and family. Sitting around eating apps and BBQ I can't think of anything better. It's so fun to watch my kids relish in the same frivolities I did 25 years ago (whoa, that's a quarter century!). This year we even added a friendly game of whiffle ball with the neighbors. I actually did hit the ball to the roof, and then promptly wiped out in a big way as I rounded second towards third. My feet came right out from under me and I landed flat on my a@@. Oh so graceful! My parents have been so lucky to always have great neighbors. It's pretty incredible that they've lived in the same house for 30 years and never really had someone next door that was a creep or majorly annoying. Although I did accidentally meet the lady that lives behind them - she was three sheets to the wind and in rare form - she may break the streak, but I don't consider her a neighbor exactly.
I love July - the weather has been PERFECT!! Today was in the 70's and breezy, a few puffy clouds floated by. We have only had to run our A/C like 4 days this whole summer!! That will be nice on the electric bill and wonderful that we can sleep with the windows open.
Hope you all are having as wonderful of a July!

No comments: